1968 xr7 G Mercury cougar>>>Hertz rent a racer

seen this, thought someone might be interested
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/6007448859.html

“Rare Hertz rent a racer Cougar is beautiful. … No games or low ballers… if you have to ask how much… you just may not be able to afford it?”

I don’t know, I almost always ask how much when someone offers something for sale. Maybe you’re supposed to already know. Or maybe he’s a jackass.

The G is 8F93S544820 and is a color change. Supposed to be Cardinal Red.

Who would take a Cardinal Red XR7 G and paint it white???

I don’t know, but I think it looks good.

Saxony Yellow reprint was certainly a personal preference of the owner.

Red on red is more ideal.

Great candidate to paint Black to be Black with Red interior.

It is always hard when a seller does not post an asking price. I was told north of $30k is what he is seeking.

I hope it goes to. A good home and we see it at events some day.

I emailed about the 69 convert. but never heard back

Non running condition and paint changed. With the asking price it’s not changing hands anytime soon.

So, if it is not running, was anyone told why it isn’t running? Looks decent, but I think the original Cardinal Red would look better on it. Any input from G knowledgeable folks on what a fair price might be for this car if it is not running and someone wanted to repaint it back to the original color? Thanks.

It has been flagged. I emailed him and he never got back to me.

A ‘fair price’ would have to include whether you are working on it yourself or paying someone to do it. If I was going to pull the drivetrain and send out the engine and trans versus having the restorer do it I could handle a higher selling price. Same with the body work. Most restorers I know who do a good job are $100 on up an hour plus a markup on parts and rebuilding. One reason it could have been painted white was it had body work done and needed a repaint. White is the least expensive color paint to buy. For a not exact price reference there is a Cardinal red 302 G by me that the owner tried for a good year to sell for $20K, never got close so he gave it to his son to drive around.

Not sure I follow the logic. A car is not worth more if you can do the work yourself. It might increase what you’re willing to pay.

A Hertz G is the top of the G cars. With it not running, color change a the few limited pictures that were originally posted I’d think the seller would be lucky to get $25K. I guess the fair price depends on the seller, the buyer and how it’s listed. Both of our G’s were listed wonderfully and each seller was well known in the Cougar Community. The listing prompting this thread will most likely be a hard sale even if it’s a Hertz G. From the limited pictures, description and the wording of the ad this Cougar will probably stay put for quite a while. Just my thoughts.
Steven

My opinion the most desirable XR7 G is the 428CJ 4spd. Only three made which checks both boxes, rare & desirable. I put the Hertz G’s just above the small block G’s for two reasons. All 188 were optioned the same. Two none had the fancier engine dress. I see a few non correct replacement items on the G that is for sale that will effect it’s value. Red paint is very $$$ expensive…

Correct, I slipped on that one.
Steven

And the 428CJ automatics! Just 11 of those…

That’s what I meant. To make the sale.

Love those CJ autos. But not all had sunroofs.

IMO, this is the sort of car for someone that really wants to get into a G but maybe has a limited budget. Chances are this one will not bring the “top dollars” because of the items mentioned (color change, non-operational, etc). So this is an opportunity for a patient person to make a connection with the seller to try and get the car for a reasonable price. Stay in touch with them, stay on thier “good side” by being helpful and rational with a possible value and offer for the car. And keep checking back. Eventually they will be ready to just move on, and hopefully it will go to someone who really wants it.

Just my thoughts on it.

I just checked the Baltimore Craig’s list and the add is back up and the seller has a price of $65000.00. I did not see in the
Posting the it was not running. If I missed somthing and it is not running the seller is asking to much and it is going to sit for a long time.

Here is the new listing link:
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/6017706244.html

I looked at the ad and it doesn’t say anything about the condition of the car/engine. I also looked at the registry and it does not state anything about the color change. I’ll PM Royce so he can update it in the registry.

Maybe Brian knows the Cougar and can shed more light on the non running condition.

Steven