1967 Steering Column Disassembly

Hello, I have been searching for around for directions on disassembling a one piece steering column . Mine happens to out of a base model 67. I already have the column out of the car. The objective is to remove the steering rod and replace it with an after market rod for conversion to a rack and pinion setup. Can anyone detail this or direct me to a thread which describes this process? Thank you

This might help, scroll down to the exploded view
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/mump-1004-virgina-classic-mustang-steering-column-rebuild

This will be interesting. I’ve always seen the old flange cut off at the end.

I followed along with this when I tore my column down https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/wacked-steering-column/5085/1

Thank you, I read through this one, but still can’t find anything about specifying how the column can be dissembled any further. What I have is a solid steering shaft (one piece, non-collapsible) mid-year 67. I will need to remove the steering shaft from the column and replace with a new one that connects with the rack and pinion. I believe I need to take apart the top portion of the steering column where turn signal and steering bearing is housed, but I can’t figure out how to do this.

Thank you, yes this is helpful for rebuilding the steering column. My stuck point is trying to figure out how to disassemble the column into all its separate parts. It seems like the article ends without explaining that process. Perhaps I’m missing the rest of the article, as I’m reading and researching everything with my phone. Will check that out with a computer when I get a chance.

Yes you start at the top by removing steering wheel, remove signal light switch, remove the bolts holding the collar there is a snap-ring to be removed and there is a bushing and bearing and whatever else that’s holding it in. It’s been a long time sense I tore one apart. you need to look at the exploded view in the link I sent you.
Well I screwed that one up pic. to large.

Yes, I went with the TCP rack and pinion, which does not call for cutting and adapting the original shaft, which seems like it would be much easier at this point. I since this a I solid, non-collapsing steering column, it is somehow connected at the top portion of the steering column where the steering bearings and turn singnal housing are located. Nothing is jumping out at me as to how to dissemble the column any further. Any one know of anyone ever replacing the steering column bearings on a 67 column? I searched for that as well because it should include what I’m tryin to do, but I am not coming up with anything.

Apologies, I’m a bit of an idiot and just realized all I had to do was yank this hub off the column. Thank you for your replies. I will reference the schematics you sent from here.